Principle # 1: Wear the children out early in the day. There is great payoff for the rest of the day when you do so. They are less active the rest of the day AND usually a nice nap pays off.
Principle # 2: Mama must rest too. Now I know that some mothers will laugh and scoff at this idea. I mean, when is there really time? I so agree with this question, however, I'm trying my best not to run hard the kids' entire nap time. If I give myself a little rest time, I find I have more energy to run with the little ones after their nap.
Principle # 3: Change is good. I'm finding that moving toys into different locations of the house actually gives the children the sense that their toys are new. And any parent who has ever taken their child to someone else's house with toys their own children have never or rarely seen knows this principle well. New toys are way more fun than the toys the kids are already used to.
Well, yesterday I took principle # 3 into a more drastic action. I moved furniture. I re-arranged both the playroom and the living room, and the kids LOVE it!
This is our playroom. I moved our coffee table and turned it into an activity table. The kids love this so much! Now I need chairs for the kids which I plan to get ASAP!
This would be an example of a station, except this is really a combo. I have both blocks and books on this table. Normally, in a station I separate activities so that blocks would be on one table and books/computers would be on another table.
Another view of our playroom. To the left is a T.V. and behind the chair is a chalkboard. I haven't been brave enough to let the kids (who are still only a young two) use chalk on the chalkboard. Instead, I write on it and use it as a teaching tool...like to teach shapes, etc.
We moved the couch out of the playroom and now have two couches in our living room (please excuse the laundry on the couch!). This is one of the pieces I use in a role-play center. It's a little kitchen. I would take all real-life items and put them in this large space. It's a great way for the kids to "help" while I'm working. The other day I gave each child a large non-breakable bowl and a whisk and spatula and they "cooked" while I was cooking too! :-)
This is an activity station "in progress." I moved our small outdoor basketball goal inside because it's too hot to be outside all that much AND I have a very active little boy. I have a few other ideas of "activity" type things to add to this area of the house that I'm working on.
We did have some really enjoyable play time outside this morning. The kids were so tired after playing outside, they asked to go inside! I think that may be a first! Other than that, we have been thoroughly enjoying the new changes in the house. When you're two, it appears that for the most part, change can be a very good thing! :-)
such great ideas!
ReplyDelete