Monday, February 2, 2009

Blessings Along the Way

We met with the doctor this morning and he said we could be released just as soon as Chase's treatment was over. That occurred around 1 p.m. today. Chase will still be regularly (probably daily to start) monitored by this doctor and the doc gave him oral steroids to take daily for the next two weeks. I will definitely keep you posted on his progress continues.

This morning, Chase asked me today what I had on my "list" of things to do today once we got home. List???? Ha! I am certainly a list maker but the only thing I have planned to do is curl up in bed and stay there as long as possible. I may not get out of bed for a couple of days at that. I do have another doctor's appointment myself on Wednesday, but other than that, this week will be a week to recover and get some rest before we start all over again with another hospital stay and sleepless nights. 

I do want to mention, though, some blessings from the Lord this past week. We are so very grateful the Lord chose to say "yes" to Chase's healing. He is good no matter His answer, but we are so grateful nonetheless.

1. A family suite--I slept on a couch the first night here (pictured below). It really wasn't that bad, but a young woman came in to clean the room and noticed I planned to stay the nights with Chase. She took one look at my belly and said that she thought another room with two hospital beds was available for family members who sleep over. Within fifteen minutes we were packing up the small room we were in and were placed in a much larger, much comfier room for the remainder of our stay. And although I certainly didn't mind the couch, the bed was so nice!

The Couch--it does pull out to make a longer bed.

Our Family Room

2. A quiet night nurse--We had a couple of incidences where a night nurse or nurse tech would come in and turn on the blaring lights in the midst of our slumber. Then, the Lord brought the most wonderful nurse. She insisted on doing everything quietly and in the dark, no less! This made sleeping so much better!

3. A fabulous doctor--When Chase was referred to this doctor, he called a family member in the medical field to double check on his reputation. Our family member communicated that this was a wonderful hematologist and she referred her own patients to him. Then, when we arrived, every nurse who came into our room told us how fortunate we were to have this man as our doctor. We were told he is "brilliant" and is extremely dedicated. Our doctor made rounds on Saturday and Sunday as well. What a gift!

4. Chase's parents--As soon as we heard the news, Chase's parents came up to help out. They were wonderful in bringing us meals, taking care of Bailey while I wasn't home (this also meant a sleepless night for them as Bailey whined the better part of one night), and they watched over Chase as he was treated during the day so I could go home and rest. We were so grateful to have them there!

5. Chase's brother--Grant took off time from work and drove in from Houston to see his brother. Chase, I know, wishes he could have spent more time with him, but Chase was tired the better part of the daytime. We were so grateful Grant came in just to support his brother. He even left his sick wife to do so! 

6. Our church family--We learned a lot from our church family these past few days. We learned how to love others going through a similar situation. We were loved to pieces by the people at our church--our pastor, our small group leaders, and our friends. There were countless ways we were served over the past week, and our hearts are just busting at the seams with gratitude. The scripture that continued to resonate with me was "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 

The Bountiful Basket of Fruit from our Church Family. Before we started eating the fruit, it was extremely heavy to lift.

7. Family and Friends--We received so many phone calls and emails and offers to come in from out of town just to support Chase and me.  We also had friends and family on the phone offering medical advice, offering to help us out with whatever we needed at home, and also offering up prayers on our behalf. What a blessing to know we are loved so well!


8. A peace that surpasses all understanding-
  • "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
     
  • And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 4:6-7
Only our God can provide the kind of peace He has granted us over the last few days. Not to say we didn't have our moments, but we certainly had an overwhelming understanding of Who was in control and that we were in the safest Arms possible.

I'm sure I'm forgetting an endless list of blessings granted us by our Lord Jesus, but I wanted to take a moment to testify to the Lord's provision in both big ways and small over the past week. 



4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that you were blessed by so many this past week. What a stressful, emotional, tiring stretch of days, and what a blessing to see the Body of Christ surround you (both physically and in spirit/prayer) to help carry you through. Our God is so good; He knows just what we need and is faithful to provide!

    Love you! You all are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have the say that the two of you look so cozy and cute in your two little beds, side by side.

    Enjoy your last few restful nights together at home before the babies are here! It's actually fun to get up and take care of them in the night, you'll see. It all goes by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get plenty of rest because it won't be long before you get none! So glad Chase is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronda I am so relieved to read the good news and that you are being cared for by so many wonderful Christian people. I love you dearly! Your family continues to be in my daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete