Monday, January 19, 2009

Babies'/Mama Update

This might be a long update, but it's been a while since I've officially shared an update of all that's going on. As I've written earlier, I am officially at home and LOVING it. The most common question I get right now is, "Are you bored????" and I always respond with an emphatic "NO!" My most favorite things to do are to take care of my family and to take care of my home, and I have the time to do that right now. The Lord makes all of us differently. Some of us thrive on having a ton to do and that makes us more productive. I am not one of those people. Because I am an admitted perfectionist, I get overwhelmed when I have too much to do. I would rather do a little really well than have a lot on my plate and feel like I just can't do anything well. 2008 was a year where I had a ridiculous amount on my plate. I worked, sponsored a dance team, belonged to a Bible study, and finished my graduate degree. Taking care of my home certainly went on the back burner, so it's been so nice to have the time to rifle through closets, read books, practice my cooking skills, etc. I definitely tire easily and take lots of naps as well (probably because I do not sleep well at night). The doctor used great wisdom in keeping me at home as I know I couldn't have kept up with the pace my work would have demanded this semester. 

Baby Update

I am now at 32 weeks. Twins, on average, are born at 36 weeks, although they can certainly stay in there longer. The babies are doing really well so far. My doctor doesn't expect them to arrive any time soon, but she did tell me today to mentally prepare for a c-section. Baby B is the baby closest to my rib cage (actually she or he is all up in my "grill") and is in a transverse position right up under that rib cage. He or she appears to be comfortable, even though Mommy doesn't always feel so comfortable. This baby will be my second born, but I can always tell him or her that he or she stayed right next to my heart for weeks on end. :-)

Baby A is my "show stopper." He or she loves to sleep on his or her stomach (much like their mommy) based on the ultrasounds we've seen. This baby especially loves praise and worship music. He or she does somersaults and seriously kicks pretty close to the beat of the music whenever there is praise and worship at church. This baby seems to have a heart for his or her brother or sister because wherever Baby B moves, Baby A wants to snuggle up as close to his or her sibling as possible. Baby A is also my more "type A" personality at the moment as he or she has been ready to go and in perfect position for delivery for quite some time. 

Mamma Update

I failed my glucose test several weeks back, so I scheduled an appointment to have a gestational diabetes test. I couldn't finish it. The nausea the test caused was just too great. So, I have to be treated like a gestational diabetes patient, even though there is no concrete evidence that I have it. If I do, this isn't uncommon for mothers of multiples, though. I am checking my blood sugar four times a day. Before I started my fertility treatments, I wondered how I would ever be able to give myself the shots in my stomach and somehow I was able to do it. The same thoughts occurred for this. Pricking my fingers just seemed so painful, and yet the Lord has granted me the ability to test my sugar with no problem. I was skeptical that I really needed to be put on a GD diet (which pretty much means no sugar) until I decided to break the rules and eat some sugar with a meal a couple of days ago. Two hours later I took my sugar and it was much higher than the recommended range. Which means I need to keep on with the diet apparently. I learned my lesson.

My Glucometer

I have been shopping at Whole Foods recently because this store really appeals to my required diet. Chase has also been really trying to eat healthy as well. I am not a fan of clutter most anywhere in my house and especially not on my kitchen counters, but I've discovered Chase and I both gravitate towards our healthy options if I lay out a buffet of sorts on our counter. So, I've designated a healthy foods section of our counter to encourage us to make wise choices.

On Saturday night, I had my fourth baby shower (yes, I know, I have been super blessed). This one was a pajama party with my girlfriends at church, and it was a combo shower with some other girls who just had babies or were about to have babies. The girls who threw it made it so special. One of the girls, Amy, made us baby keepsake books with letters from loved ones and scripture verses for the babies in it as well. The best part was the letter that the babies' daddy wrote. My heart skipped a beat when he signed the letter "Your Dad." It took me a minute to realize that this was Chase's letter to his children and that my husband will now add a new role to his life as well. It's all very exciting!


Babies' Books


The Nursery

We have it 95% finished, and we don't plan on doing any more until after the babies arrive. We don't have much on the walls because we are waiting to reveal their names. Then we will do something over their cribs that incorporates each of their names. I do have some pics, though, of their precious cribs and bedding. I LOVE this room. It is very simple in style and color scheme. We decided not to paint the walls and we really didn't do a theme, but this room really reflects what I had envisioned for the babies' room. I didn't include a picture of the rocking chair we purchased, but that went in our room. Two cribs don't really accommodate space for a rocking chair, but there was a perfect spot in our room. I expect the babies will probably spend the first few weeks in our room anyways, so the chair will be available for all sorts of cuddling.
One of the cribs--they both look exactly the same. 

More up close shot of the crib. Right now, we have a "Pooh Corner" in each of the cribs of "Pooh Gifts" the babies have been given. We will move those, of course, once the babies start sleeping in their cribs. 

My favorite part of their room. 



At the bottom of the changing table, I have a scrapbook my good friend Allison made for the babies for their first few days of life. It is so precious and will be a priceless keepsake to reflect back on the babies' start to life. 

Great Pieces of Advice/Good Ideas

There are a couple of pieces of advice or clever ideas I've received that, so far, I've found very helpful.

1. The first one is a website I hope to use this upcoming year called www.howfasttheygrow.com. I am not a "scrap booker" whatsoever, but I love the idea of having scrapbooks to pass along to my kiddos. This website allows you to choose layouts and digitally import your pictures into a layout. Then you can order those layouts and have them sent to your house. Just add them to a scrapbook and there you go--a scrapbook is made.

2. Diaper Bag You LOVE--this piece of advice came from my girlfriends who are very "cost conscious." They said that if there was one item you should splurge on, it's a diaper bag because you will use it pretty much like a purse for the next year or so. They weren't recommending that all moms go out and buy a Coach Diaper Bag, but definitely find one you love. I did find one (shown below). I'd seen these in a couple of boutiques in the area. The brand is a New Orleans brand called Kalencom, and when I saw this one, I knew I would like it on a daily basis for a year or two (so it was definitely a good investment).



3. Baby Wise--I can't remember who recommended this book to me, but it is a WONDERFUL book. This book is full of great advice to get your infant to sleep as soon as possible. After reading this book, I feel confident I know what I'm getting into and what to do in regards to a schedule for the babies.


So this is like the longest post ever (at least for me!). I do plan on one more belly pic sometime soon, and then the next pics I share will most likely be of the babies, Lord willing. I would so appreciate your continued prayer for their health and their lungs. Right now, their lungs are still the most in need of developing. We don't want to take anything for granted, especially after reading Kelly's blog about her daughter, Harper. Thanks again for all your prayers for our kiddos. Please keep on praying for them and for Baby Harper as well. 

8 comments:

  1. Ronda! I am so delighted that you're already learning your babies' personalities! How neat! And how wonderful that you are able to be at home these last weeks before they get here!

    Can't wait to see pictures of your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ronda~
    Been thinking about you and Chase lately and can't wait to meet your little multiple blessings!!! Keep me posted! Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I soaked up every word of your "long" post - you know me, I love the details!

    First off, I am so proud of you! You are doing so well and are keeping such a positive, grateful attitude. A lot of women are complaining at this point (and they only have one bun in the oven!), but you are keeping your head up and making the most of this blessed time. Plus, you're pushing yourself out of your comfort zone (with the cooking, etc.) to be the best you can be for your family. I admire you so much for this!

    L-O-V-E the nursery! So precious! I love the colors and the cute details! I can't wait to see the wall decor (because I'm just dying to know what your little blessings' names are!). And I'm loving that bag - great choice!

    Thanks again for the details! It makes those of us far away feel a little closer to things, and we love that!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been my most favorite post ever :)

    I love hearing more about their little personalities. I can't believe they are going to be here so soon!

    The nursery looks fantastic! And just a glimpse of those little diapers brought tears to my eyes.

    I am so glad you are resting. You need ALOT of it, girl!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww....i am just so excited!! I can't believe how soon they will be here! I love that you are already getting to know your babies and I am so glad you are getting to relax some before you meet them. Their nursery looks so great and I am so loving that diaper bag!!! Keep us updated. I am SO thrilled for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for the update. i'm with erica, it helps us feel closer to all that excitement. can't wait for the belly shots. :)

    and for the counter clutter, i'd suggest a nice tray or shallow basket for your healthy options buffet. :)

    praying for you both as you prepare to welcome your sweet ones into the world. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Saw your comment! So exciting to find someone in the same boat as me. The babies room is so cute. Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ronda,

    You sound so relaxed! I love it!! I really miss seeing you every day and keeping up with what's going on with you and your little ones, but I do agree that this "calm before the storm" is a gift - enjoy!!

    Praying for strong, healthy lungs,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete