This was the most sentimental ending of school years for me. For one, this was the first year that I said good-bye to a class I'd taught two years in a row. The longer you teach those kids, the closer you get. I also conducted my first out of state, overnight field trip with my group this year, which also meant more opportunity for bonding. On top of all of that, my eighth grade group just really bonded this year. They all became BFFs and they were gracious to include their TAG teachers in that bond. (TAG means Talented and Gifted, which is what I teach.)
Teacher Appreciation Week came and went in early May and a few choice students brought small gifts of thanks. It's always nice to just be told "thank you." On the last day of school, we were so not expecting anything more than to just say "good-bye" and "you better come back to visit!" Our students hesitantly handed out this little, purple bag, one for each of us, and just smiled.
Inside was written a card by the parents that said, "Thank you both for everything. Our young men and women would not be who they are today without your loving guidance." Okay, seriously. Such encouraging words.
I open my bag to find not one but three day spa gift certicates totalling $100! It's not really the amount or the fact that a gift was given as it was their generosity and the understanding that they truly found their TAG class to be a particularly special place. 
It was a great end to a wonderful school year and working with a wonderful group of students. When the bell rang on the last day of school, we were with that group of students. The buses were up and roaring, and they didn't want to leave! They each stood in line to give us a hug and some were even crying. It was the most special of experiences and one I believe any teacher would work many years to find, if ever. I'm not expecting every school year to end this way, but I'm grateful for having experienced this particularly close group and for being able to be a part of it for just a little while.
Wow! What an awesome gift - pampering! I hope you are able to go enjoy that one soon. What's a girl to do - a massage, a facial, a spa mani/pedi?! So many wonderful choices to pick from! You deserve it, my friend!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
That just means you are a spectacular teacher!
ReplyDeleteOoooh I LOVED the Villa Day Spa!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet of those kids.... you touch many lives, dear Ronda!
love you!
Ronda - you have me in tears now as I just walked in from closing up my classroom for the year. Endings are always hard, but those special moments of saying good bye always get me!
ReplyDeleteIt is so great to be recognized for all your hard work and it is obvious you made an impact on those kiddos. To me, there is nothing like the sweet notes and words that parents and students use to express how they have felt about their year with you.
Enjoy your summer!!!
P.S. SO glad you enjoyed the recipe. I am planning on posting more soon. Hope you like them!