Sunday, April 3, 2011

Who says you can't honeymoon almost ten years later?

Tonight, I looked up the word honeymoon. I was delighted to find that it didn't just refer to the period right after a wedding. It actually can also refer to any time of marital bliss. And so my most recent weekend with my hubby would definitely be referred to as a honeymoon.

A week prior, Chase told me that I could absolutely not make plans for Friday. He had a surprise! Yay! I love surprises! And the surprise he had in store was the best date night I've ever had! He had secured help with the kiddos (thanks Baba and Papa!) and planned a night away so we could go to the Harry Connick Jr. Concert in Biloxi, Mississippi.

I love how things in life often come full circle. As an 18 year old girl, I fell in love with Jazz music. I LOVED listening to Harry Connick Jr. music. That same year, I got the chance to go to New Orleans for the first time. I was enthralled with the jazz sounds emanating from the streets as the street musicians performed soulful jazz music. Chase and I laugh because in many ways I am an old soul. I mean, seriously, how many 18 year olds listen to Harry Connick Jr. and love jazz music!?! Ha! I don't care, though. I love it! So then, two years later, I meet my New Orleans boy and I remember a very specific conversation when we were just getting to know one another and I told him how much I liked New Orleans (especially because of the music). This was a pivotal conversation for our interest in one another as my hubby liked very much that he'd met a girl who liked his hometown. :-)

So, fast forward ten years, and I'm sitting next two my sweet New Orleanian husband listening to the sweet, sweet sounds of New Orleans jazz emanate from the stage as Harry Connick Jr. belts out song after song. The concert had a very strong New Orleans jazz focus which made the concert an absolute winner for both of us. It was, as I said before, the best date night I'd ever had! The concert hall was intimate and there were several places within the room to grab a glass of Merlot or a margarita prior to the concert so you could enjoy a drink while listening. We stayed at the Beau Rivage and took a cab over to the Imperial Palace where Harry played.

Although the Imperial Palace was nice, we LOVED the hotel we chose. The Beau Rivage is first class and was absolutely beautiful! Chase and I ate at the hotel after the concert (which was like 11:00 pm) and it was just so much fun to live for a few hours like we rarely do. Eating out at 11 pm is not often on our schedule! :-) I was just so blessed that my husband took the time to bless me, and the quality time we got was absolutely priceless. We were able to get re-energized so we could keep on running with all of the craziness we have in our lives right now. It was a great investment in our marriage, and I definitely think we should do this again. Maybe a Muse concert next time for the hubby. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment