Thursday, August 27, 2009

Very First Half Birthday

Today, my two little bambinos are six months old! I just can't believe how fast the last six months have gone. Our lives have changed so much in the last six months--all for the better. The first few months were quite the transition. As much as we could prepare, there really is no way to mentally, emotionally, spiritually, or physically prepare for the challenges of bringing home newborn twins. Our marriage went through an adjustment, our affection for sleep went through an adjustment, as did our very routines.

So what has changed since February 27th? Well, for starters, the kiddos are very different. They went from eating eight times a day to four, they are sleeping about 12 hours a night, they eat solid foods three times a day, they take three scheduled naps a day, and they are discovering something new almost every day. They have recently discovered one another and Bailey, our dog. When Bailey is around, they reach for her tail or ears. Who knew this would happen so early??? I think Bailey is also starting to get used to the babies. This took some time. Poor Bailey was quite the neglected dog for some time, but now she gets our attention after the babies go to sleep. Bailey is also now appreciate of the babies' feeding time. She waits by their high chair hoping to discover anything tasty has accidentally fallen to the ground.Although I still often feed Em and Ev their bottles at the same time, solid food feeding is done one on one. I find this time so important to both connect with each child individually and it is a great teaching time. I talk with them, teach them words (most often "no" right now), try to remember to pray before each meal with them (I often forget this one!), and give them my full attention. They now love to be around one another, too. They reach for one another, talk with one another (seriously, I think they are really having conversations!), and laugh often in surprise when they see one another for the first time after being separated for some reason. Evan is trying really hard to crawl. Em is not interested. She would prefer to focus on sitting up and perhaps just skip crawling and figure out how this whole walking thing works. When they take their baths, Em is quick to move her legs and splash the water as fast as she can. She does that pretty much the entire bath! Evan reaches for the bath toy and tries to put it in his mouth. It's pretty safe to say I think he's teething! When we go out, I now have to remember to bring toys because they want to play! Just sitting there doesn't work any more.

I truly believe having children has challenged both Chase and me in so many ways. We have had to really be more intentional about growing in our marriage. Our date nights look different than they once did. Gone are the days of often eating out. Now a date might look more like a home-made meal and each of us sitting on opposite ends of the couch so we can face one another and talk. The Lord has also challenged us to use this new season of life to pursue a more disciplined lifestyle. Chase and I share a renewed love for working out. I go in the mornings to the gym and Chase goes in the evenings. We have also felt challenged to be more disciplined in our walk with the Lord, taking intentional time daily to meet with Him, to read His Word, and to seek His face through prayer. The Enemy comes on over often to try to persuade us this time is not necessary. Sometimes we believe the lie. Sometimes we don't. But I believe this new stage has challenged us to remember we have a big job in praying for our marriage and our children.

We are soaking up this baby time with the kids. We truly enjoy being parents. I look forward to Chase walking through the door and the kids' eyes lighting up when they see him. I thoroughly enjoy staying home. I am not the least bit bored. I love having the time to invest in Em and Ev and to invest in other relationships too. We've had many a playdate since I've stayed at home. It's been wonderful!

I can truly say this is one of those seasons in life I will look back on fondly and would want to return to in a heartbeat. I have prayed this season will be long and joyful and that, in the midst of clearly a mountaintop season of life (as opposed to a valley), that we will forget not His benefits and all that He did in training us in the deserts of our life to prepare us for this sweet time.

What is a half b-day without pics? The kids are napping now, but I hope to take some a little later today and will post later.

2 comments:

  1. Ronda! I can't believe they are six months, either. Wow, time so does fly! You are such a sweet, godly mom and they are so lucky to have you! I hope the next six months is even sweeter.

    Lindsee

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW 6 months! Isn't it amazing how time flies!!! Are they still fitting into that 12mo outfit you got them a long time ago? How are all of yall doing? They are super cute! I am glad you are still blogging!

    ReplyDelete