This Christmas was very special because it was our first Christmas where the kids were big enough to understand what was going on. I'm not so sure they will remember any of it, but Ev and Em both understood the concept of opening presents and, like any child, they thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
We started the day by eating our Christmas cake to Jesus, which this year was Cinnamon rolls. Next year, I'm hoping to have a real cake made for Christmas, but Cinnamon rolls worked just as well. Chase read the Christmas story out of the "Big Bible," and we didn't make it through much. Emily started melting down and Evan kept on talking emphatically about the words on the page. He kept pointing and excitedly talking, but we had no idea what he was saying. Emily started crying and didn't want to sit still. Chase got about half-way through the Christmas story and decided that was all we were going to get through this year. Chase then prayed over our family, and then we headed towards the presents.
We only did stockings for the kids for Christmas because about a month ago we bought their big Christmas gift which was a swingset with a slide and fort. It's not huge, but it's perfect for kids aged 2 to 6. I think we will get many years out of this gift! The best part is that the twins LOVE it!!! They want me to put them in their swings and push them until we can't go much more. I'm so glad they love it.
After opening their stockings and some gifts from family members, we headed to New Orleans where we were meeting family for Christmas there. What I haven't yet mentioned was that I woke up nauseous and any movement made me feel very sick. I couldn't make it through dinner and had to go lie down. I got up to attempt opening presents and towards the end I had to make a run to the bathroom to throw up. Nice. Chase quickly piled the presents and the kids in the car and we headed home. I barely made it through the door before I got sick again and I'm very thankful for left over nausea meds from my pregnancy last year. I took one and went to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night sick again and then remembered a nurse recently telling me the importance of letting your stomach rest when you are sick. So I didn't eat or drink anything for the rest of the night and woke up the day after Christmas feeling much better.
I think we are all pretty much worn out today. Chase is also on the couch sleeping and we will probably need a full week to recuperate from our traveling and our Christmas fun. Despite being worn out, though, it was totally worth creating memories with our family. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment