Sunday, December 28, 2008

Marley and Me

Warning: This post spoils the end of the movie! Don't read if you don't want to know what happens.

We spent Christmas in New Orleans this year with Chase's family. Grant and Jenny came in and we had a nice few days off and a restful time. The night after Christmas, we decided to go see a movie. The movie, Marley and Me, seemed very "family friendly." This is a term Chase and I use all the time to describe a movie that all members of the family would like. So, we decided on Marley and Me, expecting a very funny light-hearted holiday film.




So we go to the movie. It was pretty good--very cute.

Then we get to the scene where Marley gets sick.

One tear falls. 

Then another.

Then, before the dog had even passed I am sobbing uncontrollably once again.

And by uncontrollably, I mean I am making sobbing sounds so loud in a fairly quiet theater. Jenny likened it to the ugly cry that Eva Mendez has in the movie "Hutch." I really did try to be quiet, but I couldn't. Chase turns to me and says, "Ronda, I really think we need to leave right now." 

I couldn't have agreed more. If I actually watched the death, I would be unconsolable.

Now let me say that on most occassions, I probably could hold back the tears and certainly wouldn't cry like I did.

But I am seven months pregnant. And there is no stopping those hormones.

Chase and I leave the theater and I cannot stop crying. One woman stopped me and asked if I was alright. The tears just wouldn't turn off. I was rather embarrassed that I made such a scene, but felt better when the movie was finally let out and all the women leaving the theater had red eyes and noses. 

Everyone said the ending was sad but did still focus on the family. Jen insisted that the book focused less on the death and more on the family as well.

I think I'll continue to hold off on sad movies in the near future for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Ronda, you crack me up. Nothing like an overload of hormanes mixed with a sad puppy dog movie to make a prego very weepy. :) I am praying for you and Chase and those little angels. Thanks for the smile today. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still feel SO BAD!!!!!

    ;) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so cute. :)

    hormones can make you crazy! so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete